During the period before 1928 the residents of the area known as Far East Rand were entirely dependent on private institutions for hospital facilities, the “Springs Nursing Home” which was not adequately equipped.
Two well – known residents of the area Dr G J Joubert and Mr PA M Brink started a fundraising campaign for the development of a fully fledged “public hospital.
Their idea was implanted when the corner stone of the old Far East Rand Hospital was laid by Jan Hofmeyer the then Administrator of Transvaal (now Gauteng) on the 4th June 1927.The doors of the hospital were opened for the first time on the 21st May 1928 and the official opening of the hospital with 62 beds took place on the 2nd June 1928
The first matron was Miss O’Brien and the first fulltime medical officer was Margaret Findlay.
The original hospital was comprised of four wards with 60 beds for whites, but for a year or so the wards were used as a nurse’s residence. The nursing staff was made up of 10 ten trained staff and 12 student nurses. They worked 72 hours per week. Responsibilities included patient care, preparing patient meals and cleaning of the wards. During the Typhoid Epidemic they worked longer hours with hardly a day off.
A Registered Nurse earned two pounds and ten shillings (R5:00) per month. Student nurses had to pay for their tuition plus working 72 hours per week. The total cost for the building of the hospital including stock and equipment was £36 000(£= pound).
Ruth First Hospital
1 Hospital Road, New State Areas Springs 1559
Tel: (011) 81 8300
Dr. LM Mogaladi
011 812 8309
082 828 4061
Senior Clinical Manager
Dr. MLA Modisane
011 812 8312
082 828 4156
Dr NN Hadebe
011 812 8561
082 8555 4371
Clinical Manager Hospital Board Chairperson
Dr. OJ Peleowo Ms Sindile Makha
011 812 8300/ 083 519 4743
Mrs. Emily Mogashwa
082 402 9101
Communications Manager Communications Officer
Mr. Hendrik Buda Thabile Mnguni
011 8128321 / 011 812 8321
079 492 4401 / 081 459 8375