- Far East Rand Hospital is a Level Two (2), Regional Hospital that is situated on the border of Springs and Brakpan.
- The catchment's areas include the following: Springs, Brakpan, Daveyton, Etwatwa, Etwatwa East, Duduzaand Informal settlements surrounding Springs, KwaThema, Benoni and Brakpan.
- Far East Rand Hospital Serves a population of approximately 2million.
- There are 20 clinics and 4CHC that refers to Far East Rand Hospital.
- These clinics communicate with hospital by referral letters.
- During the period before 1928 the residents of the area known as Far East Rand were entirely dependent on private institutions for hospital facilities, the "Springs Nursing Home" which was not adequately equipped.
- Two well – known residents of the area Dr G J Joubert and Mr PA M Brink started a fundraising campaign for the development of a fully-fledged "public hospital".
- Their idea was implanted when the corner stone of the old Far East Rand Hospital was laid by Jan Hofmeyer the then Administrator of Transvaal (now Gauteng) on the 4th June 1927.The doors of the hospital were opened for the first time on the 21st May 1928 and the official opening of the hospital with 62 beds took place on the 2nd June 1928.
The Institution offers the following services:
24 Hour Casualty, Out-Patients, X-Ray Services, Physio, Maternity, 24 Hour Theatre Service, Medical, General Surgical Services, Paediatrics, Gateway Clinic, Medico-Legal Services, Osizweni Clinic, Folang Wound Clinic, Social Work Services,ICU-4beds(Adults and Paeds), Male and Female Orthopaedic Wards, Speech and Audiology, Dietetics Services, Clinical Psychologists, Podiatry Services, Neonatal ICU, Occupational Therapy, Kangaroo Mother Care Unit, Antenatal Clinic.
Presently Far East Rand Hospital serves the following areas:
To a lesser extent Duduza, with surrounding plots and informal settlements
Number of building sites- 24 buildings
These include the main building, clinics, DID, Crisis Centre, Nurses and Doctors home, Crisis Centre, Waste disposal and EMS Station.
Referral system – Patients are referred to Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital.
Far East Rand Hospital Executives
|Hospital Address:||Enquiries Contact|
|Far East Rand Hospital|
|Mr H Z Buda|
Telephone: (011) 812 – 8321
Fax: (011) 817 – 3525
Cell phone: +079 492 4401