It provides services to the catchments population of about 1,125 207. The hospital is surrounded by 33 clinics which include 4 CHC’s and these are points of referrals from which patients should be sourced including all patients brought in by EMS as emergency cases that may be trauma or critically ill.
- Sebokeng Hospital is one of the large regional hospitals in Gauteng. It is located at the main entrance of Sebokeng township which is about 20Km South of Vereeniging.
- Previously the hospital was known as the Vereneeging non-European hospital and was an attachment of the Vereeniging hospital situated in Vereeniging. The Non-European hospital was destined for black people only. The Non –European was closed in 1980 when the hospital was moved to the current Sebokeng Hospital on the 13th August 1980.The official opening was done on the 1st February 1983 by Dr HA Grove’ who was the director of hospital services.
- The Accident/Emergency and Outpatients units were upgraded and officially opened by the MEC for Health Mr. Brian Hlongwa on the 12th March 2009.
- The land allocated to the building of this hospital was such that the hospital would not be able to grow in future. To the east there is a railway line going to Vereeniging and Johannesburg, To the North there is a railway line going to Klerksdorp, to the South we have the SAPS and Sebokeng Magistrate court and to the West we have Moshoeshoe Street, which is the main street for getting in to Sebokeng Township.
- The hospital is equipped with 800 beds with a staff compliment of 1804 of which 1368 post are filled. Of these posts about 137 are for doctors and 781 for nurses of which 686 posts are filled, which constitute to 82% of the total establishment, ALLIED 30% vacant (Pharmacist being the highest although 40 Allied posts filled out of 70 posts)
- The hospital is currently supported through an outreach programme by registrars and specialists from Chris Hani Hospital.
- Established in 1976
- Officially opened in 1978/11/10
- 178 approved beds
- 153 usable beds
- Catchment population: 402 980
- 11 buildings
- Folateng Ward
016 930 3000
- CEO - 016 930 3306
- Deputy CEO/Clinical Head – 016 930 3303
- Quality Assurance – 016 930 3268
- Communication Officer/PRO – n/a
- Hospital Board Chairperson – 016 930 3308